// This is the script to give summary on the main page.
Think IPM

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Time for a new editor.

I’ve used NotePad++ for a long time.  It’s light weight and doesn’t mess with my line feeds or carriage returns.   I thought I had it all. Smile 

Recently someone on the inter-webs recommended a new editor for use with various code languages.  Atom by Github


I don’t program full time so this might be old news to everyone reading this but for me, this was a great find and suggestion.   It is completely open source (hosted up on github) so errors, bugs and enhancements are rolled out pretty rapidly due to a highly active community.

The thing I like most about it is the packages you can download for it.  It can pretty much be customized for anything you like. Write yaml? Install a real-time linter into the editor.  Work with Powershell, there are syntax highlights for that as well.  In fact, pretty much every little language/syntax/highlighter I wanted to work with, I found in the community.  AutohotKey, no problem.

I’m not saying this is better than the editor you use, I just liked it so much that I wanted to pass along the great suggestion given to me.  If you are looking to change things up, check it out. Smile

Click Here to Continue Reading >>

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

VMware HA Heartbeat issue.

This is a pretty standard one.  You deploy a small environment that only has a single shared Datastore (like a Nutanix cluster maybe).  Enable HA and all of a sudden all of the hosts are complaining that there is only one Datastore for heartbeating and the required minimum is 2.


That’s an easy one to resolve. There’s an advanced setting that allows you to safely ignore this warning and turn your console back to the error free goodness that it once was.

Fire up Google and find this KB article.  (https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004739) because I can never remember the exact parameter.  Awesome. Fire up the VI Client and go to advanced options.


Ummm???  Where the hell is advanced options??  It was always been here.

Not anymore.  To access advanced options, be sure to fire up the WEB CLIENT.  I’m not sure when they made the change but with the 6.0 vSphere Fat Client, advanced options are no longer there.

Once you are in the RIGHT client though, the fix is again pretty easy.


If you are still using the Windows Client as a crutch, start using the web client.  eventually, you won’t have a choice. Smile

Click Here to Continue Reading >>

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Veeam Backup and Data Domains

If you are running Veeam and using a Data Domain as a backup target, there are a few options in the Veeam configuration that might not seem obvious that can really improve your backup times and windows.

When creating your Data Domain repository in Veeam, be sure to decompress the blocks before writing them to data domain.  This tells Veeam to store raw files and allow the Data Domain to leverage it’s hardware and algorithms to achieve the highest compression.


Under individual Job options, you should also disable inline data deduplication to allow the Data Domain to do a superior job at deduping the data.


Dedupe-friendly compression level and also local target are also advised for Data Domains.

If your Data Domain has a DD Boost license, you can leverage that on the repository to further increase performance and optimization.

For detailed Veeam write up, refer to https://www.veeam.com/kb1956

BTW: Happy New Year! Took the last few months off from the blog but back on the horse although, You might will see a lot more posts on Home Automation. Consider yourself warned!

Click Here to Continue Reading >>

Monday, October 17, 2016

Running NetApp? New Blog and Free Book!

If you one of the many customers out there running a NetApp storage system,  here’s a hot lead to a new blog run by Neil Anderson (@flackboxtv).  It’s cloud, Netapp, and more cloud. 

Neil has a great step by step e-book that he is giving away for free that details a step by step process for creating a NetApp ONTAP 9 lab using VMware Workstation and the NetApp simulator.  As a blogger, he has put a lot of work and effort into this and is reaching out to share it back with the community.  That’s pretty cool – Thanks Neil!
Click Here to Continue Reading >>

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Dude, where’s my Citrix Client Printers Utility?

Image result for easy hard choiceTime marches on and it’s time to upgrade your XenApp Servers.  7.x, here we come.  But your users have been nicely trained to use the Citrix Client Printers Utility and it’s now GONE in XenApp 7.x!  You have 2 options:  

1) Change your policies to auto-create *all* of a user's client printers, a revolting option if you consider that a traveling user's laptop may have *dozens* of printers defined, most of them obsolete or inaccessible.  Biggest culprits: those damned consultants!

2) Copy the binaries (printcfg.exe and at least its English UI DLL – resource\en\printcfgUI.dll) from a XenApp 6.5 server to your new 7.x servers and you are good to go! Works just as before, and maintains the argument that you only really need to auto-create users' *default* client printer since you can give them the option of selecting more if they really need them.  The argument is especially strong if you also auto-create their generic Citrix UNIVERSAL Printer (with Preview enabled) via policy, for occasional access to additional printers without their having to be auto-created or auto-retained within their sessions.

The choice is obvious!
This great Citrix tip came straight from JB – Follow him at @Jacqbens.

Click Here to Continue Reading >>